I’ve been doing a cleanse for the last two weeks. It’s the first legit cleanse of my life, and it’s 24 days total. Oh, my. It’s much harder than I thought. Especially because I’ve found myself baking C’s Sunbutter Brownies for 80, and catering my very first meal for 20. I chose April because I thought it would be a chill month. Nope.
My list of what I can eat is fairly limited, but I really believe in food tasting good, no matter how or what I’m eating. I’m not doing dairy (at all) or any fats other than coconut oil. I am eating LOTS of veggies and lean protein, drinking raw organic vegan protein drinks that are surprisingly delicious, as well as fresh juices and barley greens. (I also cut out coffee and replaced it with green tea. I miss coffee.) I’m also not doing dairy. I know. How is this fun? How can you possibly make this delicious? Well, it is, and I have.
My very favorite thing to cook right now, and I actually have cooked it almost every day, is roasted broccoli. It’s so yummy. I like mine on the edge of being burnt because I actually like the charcol-y taste. You’re probably different. I’ve also been trying out nuritional yeast flakes (which are non-active, so they are an excellent source of protein and B vitamins and won’t promote candida). Despite the unappetizing name, they are very good. A little cheesy, a little nutty. With the broccoli, it actually tastes like a treat.
1 lb broccoli florets, sliced in half (lengthwise)
1-2 Tbsp melted coconut oil or olive oil
2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
salt and pepper
fresh lemon wedge
1) In a mixing bowl, combine broccoli and oil. (You might have to massage the oil into the broccoli a bit.)
2) Sprinkle with garlic, S&P, and half of the nutritional yeast flakes.
3) Spread over foil-lined cookie sheet, flat side down.
4) Sprinkle the rest of the nutritional yeast flakes and paprika over the tops.
5) Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on how done you like them.
6) Remove from oven and squeeze some lemon over the top and enjoy immediately. :)